HVAC Energy Specialist
Salary: $84,781.32 - $102,025.44 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: HVAC Energy Spec-23
Closing: 10/3/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Department: HVAC Energy Spec-23
Equity and Diversity
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation in any of its policies, procedures or practices. In fact, the college encourages applications from all segments of qualified people.
This position will close on October 3, 2023 at 11:59 PM (or when 50 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 20,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu
The Facilities department is dedicated to the maintenance of the campus' physical environment. As the stewards of the buildings and grounds on our campus, Facilities is the single point of contact for all service and maintenance requests. Dedicated to providing superior service to our clients (students, faculty, staff, and the neighboring community), Our staff evaluates and prioritizes customer service requests and works to ensure the highest standards of care and concern for the campus.
Performs a variety of advanced-skilled work in the design, fabrication, installation, and maintenance of manual and computer-aided mechanical or industrial electrical systems, electrical controls, ventilation, air conditioning, and heating systems. Maintains efficient operation of environmental control systems for heating, air conditioning and handling, and interior and exterior lighting.
Distinguishing Career Features
The HVAC Energy Specialist is a senior position in the maintenance series, requiring formal training and experience in HVAC/R, low voltage electronics, mechanical systems, and computer-aided/networked system controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains air handlers at optimal levels. Tightens, adjusts, repairs, replaces, and calibrates boilers, chillers, cooling towers, variable frequency drives, motor control contactors, pumps, etc. Performs tune-ups and preventive maintenance on gas engines that drive chillers.
- Accesses and retrieves automated work orders using the automated work order system. May enter time and materials information associated with work performed on orders.
- Performs preventive maintenance on high voltage switch gear, irrigation pumps, walk-in freezers, and cafeteria equipment, as they relate to HVAC or related equipment.
- Designs, fabricates, and installs duct work, airflow systems, condensers, and refrigeration to accommodate new and existing building and equipment requirements at all sites. Removes old equipment and refrigerants according to applicable laws and safety standards.
- Maintains and administers building energy management systems by using computer-aided controls, digital equipment controllers, data communications cabling, and other devices or functions that enhance energy utilization.
- Performs a variety of electrical repair and maintenance duties. Installs, adjusts, repairs or replaces, motors, heaters, transformers, switchgear and other electrical apparatus. Operates electrical equipment.
- Operates, maintains, inspects and repairs heating, air conditioning refrigeration, water treatment, co-generation, heat reclamation, thermal energy storage, and ventilation and air compressor equipment used with HVAC.
- Tests, adjusts and calibrates boiler and air conditioning machinery and mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic control instruments. Tests and, as required, chemically treats boiler, condenser and cooling tower water and water from other systems.
- Responds to reports of heating or cooling problems, suspicious odors, electrical problems, refrigeration problems, elevator malfunctions, and other urgent situations. Maintains, inspects, diagnoses and makes emergency repairs to steam, natural gas, water, refrigeration, and air distribution systems.
- Analyzes energy conservation. Operates and programs the energy management system to optimize energy consumption while providing scheduled services to District facilities.
- Programs, monitors, and schedules multiple computerized energy management systems at various sites. Writes program utility blocks in global control modules to control application-specific devices.
- Calculates load factors to ensure adequate cooling and heating of occupied space, including air distribution system plenums, economizers, electrical loads, and exhaust fans.
- Contributes to designs, participates in purchases, and repairs District wide industrial electrical systems. Determines priorities for requisitioning materials and supplies. Trouble shoots and repairs motor controllers, pumps.
- Reads, interprets, and maintains up-to-date blueprints, maps, schematic wiring diagrams and specifications.
- Confers with others to recommend and evaluate heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and energy management infrastructure for new and remodeled facilities.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of indoor air quality standards and compliance requirements.
- May lead or assist other maintenance staff on projects and temporary workers assisting with maintenance.
- Recommends standards and specifications for equipment, materials, and workmanship for work performed by staff and outside contractors.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The position requires and Associates Degree in Energy Management, Industrial Technology, related field or completion of a formal apprenticeship in a specialized trade (HVAC Service/Controls, Industrial Electrical or Energy Management controls). Requires four years of experience at the journey level.
- Valid HVAC technician certification, such as North American Technician Excellence (NATE) or the equivalent in the respective country or region.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Section 608 Certification.
- Proficiency in troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining various HVAC systems and equipment.
- Ability to interpret blueprints, electrical schematics, and technical manuals.
- Familiarity with building codes and safety regulations related to HVAC systems.
Knowledge and Skills
Requires a thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, techniques, materials, tools, equipment, layouts and set-ups used in HVAC systems and boiler operation. Requires in-depth knowledge of electronics, including microprocessor operation, digital and pneumatic controls. Requires a working knowledge of construction, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing concepts, practices, and techniques. Requires a thorough knowledge of the uses and purposes of general maintenance, hand and power tools and equipment. Must know and understand all pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations in area of specialization. Requires skill in leading a small crew of maintenance staff on a project basis. Requires sufficient math skills to record and compute detailed measurements.
Must be able to use and maintain all of the tools, equipment, vehicles used during routine performance of duties. Requires the ability to plan, schedule and direct the activities of subordinates to attain high quality and efficiency in work. Requires the ability and initiative to independently develop methods and techniques in the interest of effectiveness and efficiency. Must be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions, maintain routine records and interpret plans and specifications found in area of specialization. Must be able to obtain cooperation of and maintain harmonious relations with the employees in other departments contacted during routine performance of duties. Requires the ability to maintain productive and cooperative working relationships with others.
Incumbent must be able to maintain cardiopulmonary fitness, function indoors in a shop environment and/or outdoors in the field engaged in work of primarily an active nature. Requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk up to 400 yards, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to heavy weights of up to 75 pounds on a regular basis. Requires the ability to push, pull, and guide materials over 75 pounds. Requires the ability to climb (e.g. ladders), stoop, kneel, and crouch on a regular basis. Requires sufficient hand-eye coordination, hand and finger dexterity including ability to grasp and operate specialized equipment. Requires visual acuity to read technical and safety information, to read and observe diagrams (including blueprints), manuals, work conditions, and recognize color-coded wires and connections. Requires auditory ability to hear machinery sounds and alarms. Requires near and far visual acuity to read printed materials, moving objects, and observe work-in-progress. Requires speaking ability to carry on ordinary conversations. Requires the ability to work in extreme temperature conditions. Requires the ability to maintain productive and cooperative working relationships with others.
Licenses and Certificates
Requires a valid Driver's License. Requires appropriate certification in area of specialization for handling and recycling of refrigerants.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors where significant health and safety considerations exist from physical labor and handling of materials.
Grade 44 on District Salary Schedule ($7,065.11 - $8,502.12 /month). Beginning salary placement typically is on Step 1 of the salary grade.
Health and welfare benefits include District contribution for medical/dental/vision benefits and employee life insurance ($50,000). (Cash in lieu option available on medical insurance.)
Participation in the Public Employee's Retirement System that is also integrated with Social Security.
After the application closing date, a search committee will review and invite the most qualified applicants for an interview. As these are highly competitive positions, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview. If you have questions or would like to follow-up regarding your application, please contact Human Resources at HR@Cerritos.edu as search committee members are unable to discuss specific recruitments.
Conditions of Employment This is a full-time, 12-calendar month classified position.
Hours of employment are: Monday thru Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
Board Policy 2905 requires mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. The District requires all employees to submit proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, as defined by the CDC. Full policy details can be found on the website; Cerritos College - Chapter 2 - Board of Trustees. Employees may submit requests for medical or religious exemptions to the vaccine mandate for consideration. Details are available on the District's COVID-19 webpage.
**Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position. Transcripts must be from regionally accredited institutions. A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The website address is www.naces.org.
- Cover Letter
- 1 Letter of Recommendation written within one year
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/4172825/hvac-energy-specialist
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-6e7b111d79255c448ec73eadf40e5373